President Obama’s Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) strategy, released in November 2010, outlines a comprehensive approach to stop atrocities perpetrated by the LRA and help affected communities rebuild. However, serious concerns remain about whether he is willing to dedicate the funding, senior leadership and political will to achieve a lasting end to the conflict. Issue #1 grades the content and initial rollout of President Obama’s LRA strategy, while future report cards will assess the strategy’s implementation and impact on the ground.
The initial grades for the report card highlight the strategy’s content and initial rollout and are as follows:
- Expanded US involvement to end the crisis: Grade D
- Protection of Civilians: Grade C
- Stop senior LRA commanders: Grade C
- Facilitate escape from the LRA: Grade B
- Help affected communities survive and rebuild: Grade B