The U.S. has demanded an immediate end to all violence in Darfur and a commitment to the peace process under Joint Chief Mediator Djibril Yipènè Bassolé.
In a written statement issued late Tuesday, State Department acting spokesperson Robert Wood said: "The United States condemns the military activity carried out by the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) in North and South Darfur since January 22, as well as the incursion by the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) into Muhajaria and other areas of South Darfur, which resulted in an increase of violence over the last week."
"This fighting and subsequent Government of Sudan bombing campaigns have reportedly resulted in the deaths, injuries and displacements of civilians. The bombing campaigns in particular are a violation of the Darfur Peace Agreement, of the Government of Sudan-initiated ceasefire, and of United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolutions on Darfur."
"We welcome the statement by the Secretary-General condemning these hostilities. We demand that all parties to the conflict, including rebel movements, cease all violence and provocations in Darfur immediately, and commit to the peace process under the leadership of Joint Chief Mediator Djibril Yipènè Bassolé," Mr Wood said.
The statement is the first official statement from the State Department on Darfur since the inauguration of President Obama last week. READ the Statement. More Reports.