U.S. Department of the Treasury Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence Sigal Mandelker’s June 2018 trip to East Africa represents an historic step for a senior Treasury official in engagement in sub-Saharan Africa. John Prendergast, Enough’s Founding Director and Co-Founder of The Sentry, also traveled to Kenya to participate in a press event and NGO roundtable alongside Under Secretary Mandelker. The Sentry’s Director of Policy and Analysis, Joshua White, also participated in the events.
The trip and the outcomes from it have the potential to make a major impact on long-standing crises such as those in South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo by showing how strategic tools of financial pressure can increase U.S. leverage and mark a break from previously ineffective approaches.
This resource page provides an overview of this trip, listing news coverage, press statements, and accompanying Sentry products released in conjunction with the trip. It also provides additional resources exploring the topics raised by Under Secretary Mandelkar and John Prendergast, including the need for the United States to take a strong stance against entrenched kleptocratic regimes through the use of financial tools, in particular anti-money laundering and network sanctions approaches.
- US Urges Regional Governments to Block South Sudan War Money (Associated Press)
- U.S. Warns Banks About Human Rights Abusers, Imposes Sanctions (Wall Street Journal)
- US Official Urges Uganda, Kenya to Stop Corrupt South Sudanese Investments (Voice of America)
- Kenya urged to seize assets of S.Sudan leaders (Daily Nation)
- US targets Kiir, Machar in illicit proceeds probe by Kenya (Capital News)
- US official in Africa to discuss illicit cash flows from South Sudan (The East African)
- U.S urged to force Uganda to block flow of S. Sudan’s corruption gains (Eye Radio)
- The Sentry Welcomes Treasury Under Secretary’s Historic Trip to Sub-Saharan Africa; Represents Critical Opportunity for Impact on Urgent Crises (June 10, 2018)
- The Sentry Urges Kenyan and Ugandan Authorities to Target Real Estate Connected to South Sudan Officials (June 12, 2018)
- George Clooney and John Prendergast in Foreign Affairs: The Key to Making Peace in Africa
- Testimony of John Prendergast: Protecting Civil Society, Faith-Based Actors, and Political Speech in Sub-Saharan Africa
- War Crimes Shouldn’t Pay: Stopping the looting and destruction in South Sudan
- The Terrorists’ Treasury: How a Bank Linked to Congo’s President Enabled Hezbollah Financiers to Bust U.S. Sanctions
- Fueling Atrocities: Oil and War is South Sudan
- Yes, We Have Leverage: A Playbook for Immediate and Long-Term Financial Pressures to Address Violent Kleptocracies in East and Central Africa