Editor’s Note: This blog post was written by Enough Project Intern Amanda Schmitt.
On Saturday, October 17 and Sunday, October 18, 2015, Darfur Women Action Group (DWAG) will host the 4th Annual National Symposium on Women & Genocide in the 21st Century: The Case of Darfur. By engaging activists, experts, and students in this forum, DWAG aims to construct strategies for long-term, sustainable change in Darfur while specifically addressing ending violence against women. The event will include speakers and panel discussions, followed by a film and concert, on Saturday and strategy sessions on Sunday. Some of the speakers include:
- Luis Moreno Ocampo — First Chief Prosecutor of the ICC
- Ambassador Stephen J. Rapp — Former U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for War Crimes Issues
- Ambassador Marja Lehto — Chairwoman of Justice Rapid Response
- Carl Wilkens — Only American humanitarian aid worker to stay in Rwanda during the Rwandan Genocide
- Shamila Batohi — Senior Legal Advisor to the Prosecutor at the ICC
- Jacqueline Wilson — Senior Program Officer of the Academy for International Conflict Management and Peacebuilding at USIP