Researcher (entry-level, Sudan), The Sentry
Position: Researcher (entry-level, Sudan), The Sentry
Location: Washington D.C.
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Sudan Investigator
The Sentry’s Sudan Researcher works closely with the Sudan Investigator to provide research support on Sudan investigations. The investigator will collaborate with other researchers, investigators, policy staff and contractors to help develop and produce innovative, impactful reports, along with other materials. The researcher will focus on policy, financial and law enforcement solutions to limit corruption, the financing of conflict and money laundering in Sudan.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
Investigations and Outreach
- Support investigations into financial crimes and corruption linked to violence in Sudan;
- Assist the lead author(s) of public-facing investigative reports;
- Support proposals for each investigation and public-facing Sentry report for Sudan;
- Perform research (in English and Arabic) and conduct source lead development for investigations;
- Support partnerships with investigators, media and NGOs;
- Contribute to dossiers and other reporting for governments or the private sector;
- Liaise with sources, law enforcement, intelligence agencies and the private sector;
- Contribute to development and fundraising initiatives.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Fluency in Arabic reading, writing and speaking;
- Knowledge of current issues facing Sudan;
- Understanding of financial crimes and corruption preferred;
- Ability to examine and analyze public records and financial documents from an investigative perspective;
- Familiarity using open-source investigative methods preferred;
- Ability to identify, cultivate and interview primary sources preferred;
- Capacity to synthesize data and document assertions through appropriate sourcing;
- Prior experience conducting research on Sudan preferred;
- Experience working or living in East or Central Africa, or knowledge of the region, preferred;
- Ability to develop or conceptualize multimedia content to supplement written investigative products;
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required.
- 401K with matching contributions
- Generous healthcare coverage
- Basic life insurance coverage with additional options available
- Paid time off, sick leave and federal holidays
- Detailed benefit package provided upon hiring
New Venture Fund Careers
The Sentry’s team of policy analysts, regional experts and financial forensic investigators follows the money in order to create consequences for those funding and profiting from genocide or other mass atrocities in Africa, as well as to build leverage for peace. The Sentry currently focuses on the corrupt transnational networks linked to those most responsible for deadly violence in South Sudan, Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and the Central African Republic (CAR). The Sentry’s ultimate objective is to alter the incentive structure of those benefiting financially and politically from conflict and mass atrocities. This will lend greater support to broader accountability measures as well as provide leverage to peace and human rights initiatives aimed at ending Africa’s deadliest conflicts. Co-founded by George Clooney and John Prendergast in 2016, The Sentry is an initiative of the Enough Project.
The Enough Project is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, as well as creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To apply, submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Researcher (Sudan)” in the subject line of your email.