Senior Media Relations Specialist, Enough Project and The Sentry
Position: Senior Media Relations Specialist, Enough Project and The Sentry
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Director of Communications
Seeking a dynamic, ambitious, accomplished media relations superstar to join the communications team for both partner organizations The Sentry and the Enough Project. The Sentry is co-founded by George Clooney and John Prendergast, and the Senior Media Relations Specialist will work with the co-founders and Communications Director on increasing media coverage of The Sentry’s efforts. This position will be at the center of a global media strategy to drive coverage and attention for our groundbreaking work to follow the dirty money connected to African war criminals and transnational war profiteers.
This is a full-time, Washington, DC-based position. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and accomplishments.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Work with Sentry co-founder and Enough Project Founding Director John Prendergast and the Director of Communications to develop and execute strategic communications and media engagement plans to generate greatly expanded high impact press coverage across global print, digital and broadcast to amplify our work, shape public discourse, and drive policy action.
- Collaborate with Investigations, Policy, Advocacy, and Development teams on the promotion of reports, investigations, campaigns and other key public-facing products and initiatives.
- Serve as a responsive point of contact for media requests, across multiple time zones.
- Craft and send press releases and make pitches to drive media coverage for reports, investigations, multimedia products, and other public-facing products.
- Meet with journalists, editors and producers to forge and deepen relationships and generate new opportunities for influential media coverage.
- Help to coordinate rapid response press outreach working with relevant staff and teams.
- Develop and deepen relationships with opinion editors and digital media at leading media outlets and platforms to increase publication of op-eds, articles, and other original content, including op-docs, podcasts, videos, and other multimedia.
- Strategize with the co-founders, Communications Director and key team members on ramping up media coverage possibilities.
- Help arrange and manage press conferences.
- Use PR tools like Cision and open source research to identify new opportunities with media outlets and platforms to help elevate our work and issues to targeted audiences and influencers.
- Maintain and help build our targeted contact lists of journalists and outlets around the world.
- Monitor global news across print, digital, TV and radio to identify trends, developing news cycles and other media engagement opportunities.
- Work with the Digital Communications Manager to leverage social media to strengthen journalist relationships and support media outreach.
- Track media coverage and create coverage reports for internal teams and external stakeholders, including major donors.
- Help prepare and coach staff in effectively communicating reports, investigative findings and policy recommendations to a range of key audiences, from broad general public to journalists, policymakers and practitioners.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- 6+ years working as a media relations professional.
- A consistent, multi-year track record of placing high impact media coverage, including interviews, features, profiles, and op-eds.
- Currently maintain and regularly interact with a large and responsive network of top journalists, editors and producers at leading media outlets across print, digital, radio and television.
- Experience arranging and coordinating press conferences.
- Experience with Cision and other media relations tools.
- Powerful oral and written communications skills relevant to driving media coverage.
- Exceptional ability to craft compelling pitches and stories distilling from complex, technical or policy-driven reports, investigations and other written materials.
- Experience leveraging social media to develop media relationships and drive media coverage.
- Calmly, professionally, and effectively handle a fast-paced work environment.
- High energy, innovative, diligent, can-do approach to achieving ambitious metrics of success.
- Detailed oriented and organized, with strong execution on plans and tasks.
- Ability to forge strong relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently and still be team-oriented.
- Strong testimonials from clients, colleagues and industry professionals that speak to media relations skills and accomplishments.
- Passionate about peace, social justice and human rights.
Desirable but Not Required – Additional Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Confident, compelling public speaker.
- Hold an academic degree in a relevant field (including but not limited to public relations, communications, journalism, or international relations).
- Professional journalism experience.
- Expertise reviewing, editing and strengthening op-eds, speeches, video scripts, and other written materials
- Experience in video, multimedia, and creative production.
- Experience with media relations tools and services such as HARO, Meltwater, Propel, Sorc’d, etc.
- Experience landing influential media coverage in Africa, UK and Europe.
- Experience in fields related to anti-money laundering, sanctions, illicit financial flows, or other areas related to transnational crime and corruption.
- Experience living or working in Africa.
- Fluency or professional proficiency in French or Arabic.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Enough Project is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working. EnoughProject.org
The Sentry is an investigative and policy team that follows the dirty money connected to African war criminals and transnational war profiteers and seeks to shut those benefiting from violence out of the international financial system. By disrupting the cost-benefit calculations of those who hijack governments for self-enrichment in East and Central Africa, the deadliest war zone globally since World War II, we seek to counter the main drivers of conflict and create new leverage for peace, human rights, and good governance. Co-founded by George Clooney and John Prendergast, The Sentry is composed of financial investigators, international human rights lawyers, and regional experts, as well as former law enforcement agents, intelligence officers, policymakers, investigative journalists, and banking professionals. TheSentry.org
To apply, submit a resume to email@example.com. Please include “Senior Media Relations Specialist” in the subject line of your email.