Senior Legal Coordinator
Position: Senior Legal Coordinator, The Sentry
The Docket is a collaboration between The Sentry and The Clooney Foundation for Justice which aims to ensure that individuals and corporations that are complicit in international crimes face justice. The Docket will work with multi-disciplinary teams that gather and analyze evidence that can trigger prosecutions and civil actions against those who finance and facilitate mass human rights violations.
The Senior Legal Coordinator for The Docket will have the following responsibilities and qualifications:
- Develop strategic goals and engagement plans for individual cases led or co-led by The Docket
- Review evidence dossiers based on the elements of grave international crimes and domestic or transnational financial crimes
- Coordinate with senior investigators as they develop evidence, working closely with senior members of The Sentry investigative team
- Develop litigation theories based on evidence developed for dossiers, including charges, possible venues, and appropriate liability schemes
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders, including foreign and US domestic prosecutors and law enforcement investigators, prosecutors and investigators at the ICC and other international courts, and partners at peer NGOs
- Maintain relationships with key stakeholders to advance cases for consideration
- Draft potential criminal complaints and related filings for foreign and domestic jurisdictions
- Develop and maintain relationships with key civil society stakeholders
- Draft memos and summaries for internal awareness of case development
- Provide regular updates for co-founders and donors on details related to Docket cases via phone and email
- Brief Sentry staff on the theories of change underpinning The Docket’s work, the technical skills involved in developing cases, and factual details of The Docket’s cases
- Practice and enforce robust security protocols related to field investigations, communication with sources, and digital information sharing and storage
- As needed, assist in some fieldwork and/or OSINT to support the investigation
- 10+ years experience in international criminal law, policy and/or field investigations related to atrocity crimes
- At least 2-3 years experience in the practice of international criminal law
- Demonstrated experience in international or domestic civil litigation related to human rights abuses and/or grave international crimes, including pillage, particularly where private sector actors may have played a role
- Demonstrated experience conducting interviews with high-risk sources and vulnerable populations, including sexual violence survivors, torture survivors, children, and military defectors
- Training in investigating grave international crimes
- Training in the elements of international humanitarian law and international human rights law
- Ability to work well in a team and in a fast-paced office environment
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Preferred: French proficiency
- Preferred: At least 2 years law or policy experience related to East and Central Africa
The Sentry is an investigative and policy team that follows the dirty money connected to African war criminals and transnational war profiteers and seeks to shut those benefiting from violence out of the international financial system. By disrupting the cost-benefit calculations of those who hijack governments for self-enrichment in East and Central Africa, the deadliest war zone globally since World War II, we seek to counter the main drivers of conflict and create new leverage for peace, human rights, and good governance. Co-founded by George Clooney and John Prendergast, The Sentry is composed of financial investigators, international human rights lawyers, and regional experts, as well as former law enforcement agents, intelligence officers, policymakers, investigative journalists, and banking professionals.
The Sentry is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The Sentry’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To apply, submit a resume to email@example.com. Please include “Senior Legal Coordinator” in the subject line of your email.