Investigative Journalist (UK/Europe), The Sentry
Position: Investigative Journalist (UK/Europe), The Sentry
Location: Flexible within Europe or the United Kingdom
Reports to: Special Investigations Director
The Investigator works to plan and execute public investigations for The Sentry, an investigative initiative launched by Enough in 2015 to expose a counter the financing of conflict and mass atrocities in Africa. This position works to ensure that investigative efforts support the policy goals of Enough.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
Investigations and Outreach
- Conduct investigations and write investigative reports about the links between corruption, financial crimes, and atrocities in Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Central African Republic;
- Reporting, acquire data, and develop sources for investigations;
- Foster partnerships with media, investigators and NGOs relevant to The Sentry’s work;
- Promote The Sentry and represent the organization for publicity events as required;
- Contribute to dossiers and other written materials provided by The Sentry to governments or the private sector;
- Contribute to development and fundraising initiatives on behalf of the organization.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Excellent reporting, writing and editing skills in English;
- Experience producing and publishing hard-hitting investigative reports;
- Ability to examine and analyze public records and financial documents from an investigative perspective;
- Ability to travel and conduct field-based investigations in difficult reporting environments;
- Experience cultivating and interviewing primary sources;
- Capacity to develop leads for new investigations;
- Understanding of advanced information security and data encryption techniques;
- French and/or Arabic language skills.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Capacity to mine social media platforms for forensically valuable data;
- Ability to develop or conceptualize multi-media content to supplement written investigative products;
- In-depth knowledge of or experience working or living in East or Central Africa.
To apply, please submit a resume and brief cover letter to email@example.com. We will begin reviewing applications for this position in early March.