Position: Editorial Coordinator, Enough Project and The Sentry
Reports to: Director of Communications
Department: Communications Team
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Enough Project and its investigative partner The Sentry seek an Editorial Coordinator, an experienced project manager responsible for supervising and coordinating a comprehensive editorial, review, production, and quality assurance process for investigative reports, policy papers, op-eds, blogs, grant proposals, funder reports, constituency emails, public presentations, private briefing materials, and other written materials.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manage the editorial process for reports from conception through to final product, working with product authors, team directors and Investigations, Policy, Development, Legal, Operations, Advocacy and Communications teams.
- Coordinate multiple cross team inputs in an efficient, transparent, and organized workflow that delivers written products of superior quality and high impact.
- Manage a team of freelance editors: Supervise and review their edits and proofs of written materials, maintaining consistent quality assurance, from spelling and grammar to readability and structure.
- Edit and proof short- and long-form reports, presentations, and other key written materials, as needed.
- Work with the policy team to ensure alignment of written products with agreed policy frameworks and language, strategic objectives, and core mission.
- Manage products to deadline by communicating and collaborating with other departments to ensure timely and efficient production and publication of products.
- Manage and maintain strict version control on reports and other written products.
- Track progress of editorial products and update Directors and teams as requested.
- Collaborate across time zones with global colleagues when necessary.
- Coordinate and host regular weekly product status meetings with a cross-team working group.
- Routinely engage with managers and relevant team members to update them and seek their input.
- Set production timelines, negotiating priorities, schedules, and expectations.
- Coordinate legal review and revision of written products as needed.
- Demonstrate flexibility to respond to changing priorities and schedules.
- Maintain and update in-house stylebook, and ensure authors adherence to style rules.
- Work with team managers and other organizational stakeholders to further develop, streamline, and implement cross-team collaborative processes for the development, production, public distribution and promotion of written products.
- Coordinate the translation of written materials primarily for English, French, Arabic, Swahili, and Lingala, working with external translation services, internal reviewers, authors, and on-staff subject area experts.
- Work with writers of varying skills and experience, arranging and coordinating coaching, mentoring and support as needed to continuously improve key writing skills and the overall quality of written products.
- In all efforts, work to support the production of written products that will educate, inspire, guide, and drive action across a range of audiences, from experts and policymakers to journalists, influencers, donors, and the general public.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 4-5 years working in a project management role related to written materials.
- Highly organized and effective coordinating projects in a fast-paced, rapid-response environment, balancing multiple projects and tasks while ensuring that teams consistently deliver with high quality and on deadline.
- Experience developing and maintaining efficient processes.
- Superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively in teams and with a diverse team with a variety of work styles and skill sets.
- Strong writing, copyediting and proofreading skills.
- A track record of successful problem-solving related to project management.
- A belief in the importance of human rights and social justice.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Experience working with digital project management systems like Asana.
- International experience and foreign language skills, especially French or Arabic, are a big plus.
- Graduate degree in a relevant field.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Enough Project is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working. EnoughProject.org
The Sentry is an investigative and policy team that follows the dirty money connected to African war criminals and transnational war profiteers and seeks to shut those benefiting from violence out of the international financial system. By disrupting the cost-benefit calculations of those who hijack governments for self-enrichment in East and Central Africa, the deadliest war zone globally since World War II, we seek to counter the main drivers of conflict and create new leverage for peace, human rights, and good governance. Co-founded by George Clooney and John Prendergast, The Sentry is composed of financial investigators, international human rights lawyers, and regional experts, as well as former law enforcement agents, intelligence officers, policymakers, investigative journalists, and banking professionals. TheSentry.org
Interested candidates should submit resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Editorial Coordinator” in the subject line of your email.