Data Investigations Lead, The Sentry
Position: Data Investigations Lead
Location: Applicants for this role will work remotely, and should be based in Africa, or have lived and worked there for an extended period of time.
Status: Flexible (this role could be full time or part time).
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Identify, assess, and implement new investigative and analytical tools and techniques.
- Source intelligence for the Investigations teams in The Sentry: locating and obtaining potentially obscure sources of data and information through online resources.
- Manage data investigations projects collaboratively with other team members.
- Respond to, and proactively meet, the analytic needs of the Investigation teams as they arise – guiding other team members wherever possible.
- Lead vendor negotiations necessary for meeting our analytic and research needs specifically as they related to access to data and analytic services.
- Develop and manage a range of internal and external expert consultants and analysts.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Experience analyzing data to create compelling stories for a non-expert audience.
- Familiarity with mining and handling large datasets, with demonstrable skills in selecting the right statistical tools and articulating analytical questions/approaches given a data analysis problem.
- Experience with querying, managing and processing data with SQL and Python or R.
- Experience designing and deploying web scraping tools. Able to use a variety of methods to scrape, clean and analyse data from a variety of unstructured or semi-structured sources.
- Desire and ability to work in a cross-functional team, and communicate across functions (e.g., to investigators, policy experts, communications teams etc.).
- Desire to take ownership of an early-days workstream at a growing organisation and push it forward.
- Experience using SQL and other databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Neo4J, MongoDB) and cross referencing data from different sources to find patterns and stories.
- Professional engineering habits, including commenting code and version control (Git).
- Demonstrated experience in self-directed, primary-source research.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in managing multiple competing tasks and working as part of a team.
- Good English language skills.
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Experience in the technology for social good, humanitarian and human rights sectors.
- Fluency in Arabic or French.
- Ability to explore data visually and prototype data visualizations, including interactive visualizations
- Experience building a data hub or document library
- Experience of leading complex projects – from initiation to completion, building coalitions within organizations, managing partnerships outside your organization, and engaging and managing consultants.
- Demonstrated experience as trainer and understanding of capacity building and skills transfer.
- Experience writing about data to create compelling stories for a non-expert audience.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing “Data Investigations Lead” in the subject line of your email. Please apply by November 15th, 2020.
The Sentry is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The Sentry’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.