Lord’s Resistance Army’s Sends Chilling Threatto Congolese Civilians: ‘We Will Celebrate Christmas With You’
WASHINGTON, D.C– Enough, the anti-genocide project at the Center for American Progress, released the following statement today regarding incursions by the Lord's Resistance Army rebel group against civilians in the Democratic Republic of the Congo:
Enough calls on the United Nations Security Council and member states, including the United States as the greatest contributor to U.N. peacekeeping, to put immediate pressure on the Congolese government and the U.N. peacekeepers to improve civilian protection in the north-eastern reaches of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Recent interviews conducted by Enough Project researchers traveling in Haut Uele and Bas Uele in Province Orientale, in northern Congo, suggest that the Lord's Resistance Army--a transnational terrorist group with a 20-year record of atrocities--is threatening to repeat the massacres it committed during Christmas 2008, in which over 800 Congolese civilians were brutally murdered.Meanwhile, Congolese army units deployed to protect local populations from the LRA continue to commit grave abuses against Congolese civilians.
The LRA have killed nearly 1,500 Congolese civilians and abducted 3,000 more (including at least 700 children) since the Ugandan army launched an offensive against the LRA in December 2008. The presence of 6,000 Congolese soldiers in Province Orientale--many of them integrated brigades of former rebels and local militia from the troubled Kivu provinces in eastern Congo--has actually made matters worse. The U.N. Mission in the Congo, or MONUC, has deployed to the affected region, but peacekeepers conduct only limited patrols in some LRA-affected area that provide little deterrent against LRA attacks and Congolese army abuses. A battalion of Tunisian reinforcements that was supposed to deploy in June 2009 has yet to arrive.
"Civilians in Haut Uele and Bas Uele not only face the threat of LRA attack, but are also subject to the predations of the Congolese soldiers sent to protect them," said Enough policy advisor Colin Thomas-Jensen. "The international community must press the Congolese government and the United Nations peacekeepers to better protect civilians from attacks."
During a research mission in Haut Uele last week, an Enough field researcher spoke to Congolese civilians who had received direct warnings from the LRA of fresh attacks against the villages of Ngilima, Bangadi and Niangara."Residents of Bangadi and Niangara, as well as local and international relief organizations, also reported having seen letters from the rebels threatening mass killings during the upcoming holiday period," recounted Enough field researcher Ledio Cakaj. "We spoke to former captives of the LRA who recently escaped. They frequently heard the rebels talk about 'celebrating' Christmas with the people of Ngilima, a clear reference to LRA attacks of last Christmas."
The LRA might be planning fresh Christmas attacks as a response to recent claims by the Congolese and Ugandan governments that the rebels are finished. Recent LRA attacks against Ngilima, Bangadi and Niangarademonstrate that the insurgency is far from over, and that the LRA is as brutal as ever. On November 26, a family of eight was burned alive by the LRA in their hut close to Bangadi. Similar attacks reported in the villages of Ngilima and Niangara have left more many dead. On December 2, LRA rebels captured and cut off the ears and lips of a man near Bangadi.On December 12, two men and a woman were mutilated by LRA rebels in Ngulu, 25 km southeast of Bangadi.
Although Congolese soldiers are stationed in a few LRA-affected areas, these forces are raping, killing, and looting the very population they are supposed to protect. “Living with the Congolese army is like living with a viper,” a local resident told Enough. “I have never seen worse behaving people throughout my life.”
U.N. peacekeepers are absent in the villages where the threat of LRA attacks is most acute. Humanitarian organizations have called for increased U.N. troops to provide civilian protection for the last two years. A new battalion of Tunisian peacekeepers was approved by the U.N. Security Council in November 2008, butthese badly needed reinforcements will not arrive in Orientale until at least February 2010.
The recurrent violence and inadequate U.N. protection have forced humanitarian organizations to suspend distribution of food in the hardest hit areas. Unable to cultivate their lands or access humanitarian aid, the residents of Bangadi, Ngilima and Niangara have grown desperate. "We are being exterminated by the LRA and from hunger," a resident of Bangadi told Enough.
"The status quo in northeastern Congo and other LRA affected areas is a miserable failure with an appalling human cost." said Enough Co-Founder John Prendergast. "As a matter of urgency, the United Nations Security Council must work with regional governments and other concerned nations to put in place a more effective counter-insurgency strategy to end the LRA threat once and for all."
Visit theEnough Project’s blog, Enough Said, for updates on this issue.
Enough is a project of the Center for American Progress to end genocide and crimes against humanity. Founded in 2007, Enough focuses on crises in Sudan, Chad, eastern Congo, northern Uganda, Somalia, and Zimbabwe. Enough’s strategy papers and briefings provide sharp field analysis and targeted policy recommendations based on a “3P” crisis response strategy: promoting durable peace, providing civilian protection, and punishing perpetrators of atrocities. Enough works with concerned citizens, advocates, and policy makers to prevent, mitigate, and resolve these crises. The RAISE Hope for Congo campaign aims to build a permanent and diverse constituency of activists advocating for effective change in eastern Congo, including an end to the long-running conflict and the resulting sexual violence against women and girls, and reforms to reduce trade by rebel groups in conflict minerals. To schedule an interview, please contact Eileen White Read at email@example.com; phone 202 641 0779.
If you would rather not receive future email messages from Center for American Progress, let us know by clicking here. Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, Washington, DC20005-4707United States
California Senator Dianne Feinstein signed on to the Congo Conflict Minerals Act of 2009 (S.891) this Monday, making her the eleventh cosponsor of this important bill that seeks to ensure U.S. involvement in the mineral trade does not contribute to human rights violations and crimes against humanity in eastern Congo. Read More »
As deliberations over the future of the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo, or MONUC, continue among Security Council members, a nearly 200-page report by Human Rights Watch released yesterday documents just what human consequences are at stake. Read More »
Press Release: Niotan Inc. Fails to Address Concerns About Conflict Minerals
In a December 7 statement, Nevada-based Niotan Inc. claimed that it "does not source tantalum from the Democratic Republic of the Congo" and denied reports suggesting that it is linked to conflict minerals originating in eastern Congo.
The Report of the UN Group of Experts on the Democratic Republic of Congo, and concurrent research by the Enough Project, raises significant concerns regarding links between Niotan and a network of companies tied to conflict minerals originating in militarized mining sites in eastern Congo. Although Niotan claims to be "a leader regarding transparency and traceability," their statement provides no information on where Niotan does source its minerals from, and what steps they take to ensure that their materials are conflict-free.
Documents obtained by the UN Group of Experts and the Enough Project indicate the following:
1. Niotan imports tantalum from Refractory Metals Mining Company Ltd.
U.S. Customs records indicate that Niotan imported 31.8 tons of tantalum ore from Refractory Metals Mining Company Ltd. in 2009. This consisted of two different shipments on June 27, 2009 and October 31, 2009 from Hong Kong into Los Angeles and New York in container numbers MSKU7422214 and CCLU3471921. Furthermore, until January 2009, Refractory Metals was named Niotan, Ltd.
2. Refractory Metals sources Congolese tantalum from African Ventures Ltd.
Niotan Chief Executive Officer John Crawley is also a director of Refractory Metals. He admitted to UN investigators in writing that Refractory Metals received 53 metric tons of tantalum of Congolese origin from the company African Ventures Ltd, which is located on the same street as Refractory Metals in Hong Kong, China. Mr. Crawley stated that African Ventures trading activities are entirely financed by Refractory Metals.
Mr. Crawley told UN investigators that African Ventures was initially set up by his father and that "the company was set up to in order to purchase and hold concessions in the DRC that would form the basis of our long term mine investment strategy." Both Refractory Metals and African Ventures employ the consultant Chris Huber, according to Mr. Crawley. Mr. Huber has been linked to the trade in conflict minerals going back to the early part of this decade, when he worked for Rwanda Metals, a company set up by the Rwandan government to systematically export tantalum ore from occupied areas of eastern Congo.
3. African Ventures sources conflict minerals from eastern Congo
African Ventures purchases minerals from an array of businesses linked to conflict actors in eastern Congo. This includes tantalum ore sourced from the MH1 concession in North Kivu, a militarized site linked to former members of the CNDP rebel group. African Ventures also sources other minerals, including tin ore and tungsten ore, from sources linked to the FDLR rebel group and the Bisie mining site in North Kivu, site of a massacre that killed 30 people on August 13.
Mr. Crawley said that Niotan never purchased any material from Congo, nor did it purchase any intermediate products resulting from Congolese minerals. Instead he suggests "a Chinese factory most likely" took this Congolese material.
To demonstrate transparency, both Niotan and Refractory Metals should make public the precise origins of their tantalum. This should include the tantalum imported by Niotan, as well as the tantalum supplied by African Ventures to Refractory Metals. For all of the materials purchased by Niotan and Refractory Metals containing tantalum, the two companies should provide due diligence documentation, including the precise origins of these materials and their chain of custody, and subject this documentation to independent verification.
Furthermore, in order to assure the U.S. government, United Nations officials, business associates, and the wider public that Niotan is not dealing with conflict minerals from eastern Congo, Niotan should disclose the owners and shareholders of Niotan, Refractory Metals, and African Ventures, and clarify the relationships between these entities.
Enough calls on the electronics industry to trace, audit, and certify the 3T (tantalum, tin, and tungsten) and gold minerals that it purchases as verifiably conflict-free. Enough further urges Congress to pass the Conflict Minerals Trade Act (H.R. 4128) and Congo Conflict Minerals Act (S. 891) to help clean up the conflict minerals supply chain. For more information, visit www.enoughproject.org/conflict-minerals. To schedule an interview, contact Eileen White Read, Associate Director of Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org; 202 741 6376.
The Report of the U.N. Group of Experts on the Democratic Republic of Congo, and concurrent research by the Enough Project, raises significant concerns regarding links between Niotan and a network of companies tied to conflict minerals originating in militarized mining sites in eastern Congo. Read More »
Morehouse professor Texas in Africa's recent post, which takes issue with claims that the minerals are directly causing sexual violence, is an egregious and misleading attack on a straw man. Read More »